Monday 27 August 2012

take a trip to mexico...


I just wanted to share some other lovely things I've been listening to lately, namely the lovely Staves sisters, each gifted with beautiful voices, and beautiful minimalist arrangements of guitar and vocals.  I won't say too much more, because I really don't rate my chances as a music journalist, but it's really lovely music that is soft and subtle, and conducive to daydreaming and making plans, and I'm thrilled to be going to see them at Bristol's Thekla in November.  This one is my favourite.

Another lady well, well worth checking out is the beautiful Rachel Sermanni, who I'm absolutely devastated to be missing at Bristol's Thekla next month!  I have become a bit smitten with this Scottish singer (and her supreme songwriting abilities) who totally charmed everyone with her brilliance when I saw her support Fink in February.  I think she creates wonderful imagery with her lyrics, and the movement in her songs.  In particular, I would recommend listening to Song for a Fox and Eggshells.  But they're all brilliant.

Finally, I'm sort of beating myself up a little bit for not snapping up the opportunity to see Gemma Hayes, an old favourite of mine and a real inspiration, when she was in Bristol (and Bath!) a few months ago (please come back, Gemma?).  This woman has talent and beauty in abundance, and I can't get enough of this song.

I'm on the hunt for some new tunes, so if anyone has any recommendations, I'd be very grateful for a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment